Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Welcome to the World, Bug!

Dear Baby Bug-

I'm so sorry that I have left you hanging in suspense. I'm sure that since you are reading this, you obviously know that you were born. I'm going to try my best to sum up the last week, because it has been an exciting one!

Wednesday morning, April 20th, Daddy and I got up early because we were so anxious to get the process started that would bring you into the world. Once we were ready, Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Rand arrived at our house and we made the short drive to the hospital. Once we were admitted, we went up to the room where you would eventually be born. Mommy was very nervous, but more excited than anything else and in awe that this day was actually here. We spent hours waiting for my contractions to get close enough together to get you moving. Even though we were sure you would be born that day, midnight came and went with no baby in sight. Finally, around 2:00 am on April 21st, my water broke and an hour later, the nurse said that we were ready to start pushing. Daddy, Grandma Cindy, Grandma Carol, and Grandpa Rand had been at the hospital through the whole labor and although Grandpa Rand went to the waiting room for the delivery, Grandma Carol and Grandma Cindy stayed to help bring you into the world. I am going to spare you all of the details (believe me, there are A LOT of details) but finally after hours of pushing you were born at 8:27 a.m....our precious, beautiful, healthy baby girl! Dr. Hamburg put you right on my chest after you were born and Daddy cut your umbilical cord. This goes without saying, but it was the happy moment of my entire life. All of the anticipation had finally produced our precious daughter and I was finally holding you in my arms.

I was only able to be with you for a couple of minutes because you needed to be taken away for measuring and some health-related tests. Don't worry, you weren't by yourself. Daddy was with you every step of the way!

You officially weighed in at 8 pounds, 8 ounces and were a whole 19 1/2 inches long. A little bigger than anticipated, but completely healthy and beautiful. Once we knew your stats, we could finally reveal your name. Welcome to the world Tenley Brandyn Terry! You are every bit as wonderful as we could have ever imagined. Everyone we meet is in love with your name and think it is very special that your middle name is after your Uncle Brandon and Grandpa Rand. :)

Once you were all cleaned up, you were brought up to Mommy's new room where we were to stay for two days. You had so many visitors! Grandpa Rand had to leave soon after you were born, but he was able to hold you before he left and it looks like he thinks you are pretty special!

As you were coming out of the nursery, you ran into Grandpa Jeff and he was able to hold you. Look how happy he is! He is completely taken with you and is so excited that you are here.

You had a lot of other visitors during the day including your Aunt Katie, Aunt Julie, Uncle Pete and Cameron. Grandma Cindy and Grandma Carol waited patiently to hold you and, after all they helped Mommy and Daddy through with your delivery and arrival, they finally were able to hold you. I think it was love at first sight for both of them!

The day that you arrived was a busy one and we didn't get much sleep that night. Daddy stayed with us in the hospital and we spent that first night (and a few nights after that) trying to get used to what you wanted when you cried. Mommy woke up the next day very tired, but super excited that you were there beside me in your hospital bassinet. It was like waking up and realizing that Christmas wasn't over- my best gift ever was still right there beside me. We had many visitors the day after you were born and the day went very fast. I wish I could post pictures of every single person that came to see you, but this post would go on forever!! You were able to meet Betty, Beth, and Becky as well as Aimee and Hillary. Aunt Carrie and Cammie came in the morning which was great because there were no other visitors and they were able to see you for a long time. The most fun part of the day was when the newborn photographer came to take your very first professional picture. We got to dress you up in a cute outfit and then you posed for a bunch of pictures. Daddy took some really good ones and here are the highlights:

Saturday morning was full of anticipation- we were going to be able to take you home after you had your 48 hour infant screening. You had already passed your hearing test with flying colors, but your pediatrician, Dr. Stroman, still needed to release you. He came to see you around 10:00 that morning and he said that you looked great and that he wants to see you again in two weeks. Once he cleared you to go home, we started preparing ourselves to take you back to our house. We changed you into your going home outfit, put you in the carseat, and headed home!

You had quite the welcoming committee when you came home! Grandma Cindy, Grandpa Rand, Grandma Carol, Grandpa Jeff, Aunt Katie, Aunt Carrie, Cameron, and Ethan were all there to make sure that you arrived safe and sound. Casey, Laney, and Clara had made signs to welcome you home and they arrived later along with Aunt Julie and Uncle Jeff to welcome you to your new home. It was so fun to have everyone there and while they fawned over you, Mommy took a nap. It was a good thing I did, because we were up ALL NIGHT together. I don't think you liked being home as much as we liked having you there. Don't worry- you have adjusted quite nicely since then. It's hard to believe that the day you came home from the hospital was the day you were supposed to be born. We brought you home on your due date and we couldn't have been happier to welcome you two days before you were supposed to be born.

The next day was Easter Sunday- you were our little Easter baby! Since you were only a couple of days old, we couldn't take you anywhere. Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Rand went to church and told Pastor Bassam that you were born. They said the service was very nice and I was happy they were able to go. Meanwhile, the whole Terry family had Easter brunch and decided to come over afterwards to get fun pictures of all of you kids dressed up. Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Rand bought you a beautiful Easter dress, so we dressed you up in it and took lots of pictures. You are quite the model little girl!

Grandma Cindy made us a delicious Easter dinner and, once dinner was over, Grandpa Rand had to leave. Grandma Cindy stayed a little bit longer so she could spend more time with you. We probably won't be able to see Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Rand again for a couple of weeks, and we are hoping to take you to their house for Mother's Day weekend. I can't wait for you to see where I grew up, Bug, and we will be spending lots of time there this summer! Here is one last picture with Grandma Cindy and you in the dress that she bought you:

The next couple days were a blur for us. You were not what we would call cooperative at night, so Mommy and Daddy did not get a lot of sleep. We are all getting used to each other and it will just take some time to get you used to being outside of Mommy's tummy. We had some exciting visitors on Tuesday- Great Grandma and Grandpa Walter and Great, Great Aunt Lou and Uncle Bernard came to visit! They drove all the way from home for the day and we were so happy to see them. They were all so happy to meet you and the day flew by. You of course had photo opportunities with everyone, and here is the proof:

The day was a lot of fun and we ate pizza, talked, and admired you the whole time. Once they left, Mommy took a little nap in preparation for another long night. You surprised us, though, and slept very well- we all woke up at 11:00 this morning! That doesn't mean that you weren't up, but you were up a lot less than the previous nights and we are extremely grateful to you for that.

Today was the first day that we had no visitors. You have been a little angel all day and, now that it is almost bedtime, I'm a little apprehensive to what the night will bring. We will just take it day by day, Bug, and your Daddy and I are doing the best we can to be good parents to you. You are the best thing to ever happen to us and although you've only been here for a week, it is hard for me to remember what it was like before you were here. I know I said in my last post that I didn't know how I could love you any more than I did when you were inside of me, but sitting here now and looking at your little face sleeping so peacefully beside me my heart just absolutely wants to bust with love and joy that you are here and you are safe. It is hard to believe that we actually get to keep you and that we will wake up every day for years and you will still be right here. Although you have a beautiful name, Tenley, you will always be my Baby Bug and I look forward to the seconds, minutes, days, weeks, and years to come. I am so lucky to be your Mommy and I love you more than words can say. Welcome to the world- we are so happy that you are FINALLY here!

1 comment: