Thursday, March 3, 2011

YOU STAY IN THERE YOUNG LADY!!

Dear Baby Bug-

You sure are giving your Mommy and Daddy a run for our money! Do you know where we are right now? We are at the hospital! We've been here since Tuesday because the doctors think you may be ready to make your grand debut a few weeks early. Although you may think it's a good idea, we are doing everything we can to keep you snug and safe in my tummy for another couple of weeks. Here's a little bit about what we have been going through since all this started.

I went to work on Tuesday and didn't feel very well. I had some pains in my stomach all day and every time I would get up from my desk I would find it hard to walk. I went to my routine visit with Dr. Hamburg and when I told him how I was feeling, he didn't like the sound of it so he examined me. This may sound strange, Bug, but when he examined me he said that he could already feel your head which means that you are in prime position to come out- but it's too early! That coupled with the way I was feeling prompted him to call over to the hospital so that Mommy could be monitored to make sure that you are OK.

Once I got to the hospital, they admitted me and had me put on a gown and everything. I had never been to the Labor and Delivery part of the hospital, and it was very confusing to find where I was supposed to be. Once I had the gown on, I told the nurse that I wasn't sure how I was supposed to have a baby; I couldn't even figure out how to wear the gown! The nurse told me that I had it on backwards and had to change. Once I figured it out, I got into bed and Daddy arrived. The nurse put two little monitors on my belly (one for you, one for Mommy) and found out right away that I was having contractions. In order to stop the contractions, they started giving me pills. I had to take one pill every 15 minutes for an hour to see if the contractions would stop. They didn't. At that point, the nurse told me that I was going to have to stay in the hospital overnight. I walked into the hospital thinking I was going to be there for an hour and now it was turning into an overnight stay! Shortly after we found this out, the nurse gave Mommy a shot that is a steroid to help your lungs develop. It was a precaution so that if you decided to come early, your lungs would have a better chance to develop. This is scary stuff, Bug!

Once we found out that the pills weren't working, Dr. Hamburg prescribed a shot. The nurse told us that I could have up to three of these shots, one per hour, to see if the contractions would stop. She said that this shot works on 90% of people. After the first shot, the contractions slowed down but didn't stop. The second and third shots did nothing to help, so we only had one more chance to stop you from coming. Dr. Hamburg prescribed a magnesium drip which was given to Mommy in an IV. This is when things started getting a lot more serious and scary.

After they gave Mommy the IV, the nurses sent a neonatologist into our room to talk about what would happen if you were born this early. The doctor was very nice and explained that if you arrived at 32 weeks, you would have everything you need to survive but would probably need some assistance breathing. You would also need to stay in the NICU for some time before we could take you home. We were very scared, Bug, because we have no idea how healthy you would be if you were born right now! Everyone was extremely worried because we asked the nurses what the probability was of having you this week and they said "Extremely high." We called Grandma Cindy and she left for the hospital right away. Grandma Carol, Aunt Julie, Uncle Jeff, and Aunt Carrie came to the hospital to be with us and keep us company while we were hearing all of this information. Tuesday was a very scary day, Bug, but you did your job and stayed put!

The goal for Mommy was to make it to 5:30 am on Wednesday morning so that I could have another shot of the steroid to help your lungs, then make it to 9:00 am so that the steroid had time to get to you, then make it to 24 hours after that shot sunk in so that you would be ready to come. Wednesday was a little more calm and Mommy just took it easy while the magnesium did its job. The IV makes Mommy feel awful, but if it is what it takes to keep you baking then I will do ANYTHING!! We spent most of the day watching TV, visiting with Grandma Carol, Grandma Cindy, and Aunt Carrie, and trying to sleep. Later in the afternoon, Beth came to visit along with Aunt Julie, Uncle Pete, and Uncle Jeff. It was a long day full of worry, but the best outcome was that Mommy went to bed and you were still where you belonged- in my belly!

Mommy had a rough night last night and wasn't able to sleep. Everyone here at this hospital is wonderful and we have had the best care we could ask for, but these beds are AWFUL. Mommy is so tired she can barely keep her eyes open, but we are waiting right now for Dr. Hamburg to come in and tell us what the next step is. Best case scenario would be to go home today, but I'm not sure that is an option. I think I may have to stay on this magnesium until tomorrow morning and then be sure that I don't start contracting once I come off of it. After that, maybe I will get to go home. The nurses have told me that if the magnesium drip doesn't work and I start contracting, then I will have to go into labor and you will be born. I am hoping that won't happen and that Dr. Hamburg will just send me home to be on bed rest. We really need you to be healthy, Bug, and in order to do that we need you to stay inside my tummy for at least a few more weeks!

This has been a crazy, stressful week, Bug, but you have no idea how many people out there love and care about our little family. We have had so many visitors, emails, phone calls, and Facebook messages from friends and family offering support and encouraging words. We are very lucky to have so many wonderful people in our lives, especially our family. There have been family members coming in and out constantly to see how we are doing and we are hoping to see Grandpa Rand tonight as he travels back from the work he is doing in Southern Illinois. Grandma Cindy has stayed with us the whole time and we are so happy that she could be here!

Here are some pictures from our adventures in the hospital. Usually Mommy tries to look a little bit better for pictures, but it has been a rough couple of days so excuse the appearance. I love you so very much, Bug, and we are going to work at keeping you in there as long as possible so that you have every chance of living a strong, happy, healthy life!


Mommy and Daddy at the hospital- it has been a looooong three days!!


Here I am on the phone with Jenny from work. I feel really bad because Jenny has been tossed into my job so I told her to call me if she runs into trouble! It makes Mommy feel good that she can still be helpful.


Here is Mommy and Grandma Cindy with the beautiful flowers she and Grandpa Rand sent to us. Do you see the little ladybug in there? That's for you!!


Here's Mommy's belly at 32 weeks 6 days. We're hooked up to a whole bunch of monitors so that the nurses know exactly what is going on with both of us. Mommy's very tired, Bug, but happy you are staying put!

No comments:

Post a Comment